Activities you can do on Popcorn Day:
- Stringing popcorn (these could be hung outside for birds to eat)
Need: sewing needles, string, popcorn
- Guess the amount (fill container with kernels and have students guess)
Need: popcorn kernels, container
- Popcorn air hockey—can you “volley” the kernel back and forth 20 times without letting it fall?
Need: flat surface (table), straw (to blow), coffee stirrers (as paddles) or hands (as paddles)
- Popcorn relay race
Need: popcorn, spoons
- Popcorn basketball: can you flick a piece of popcorn into the basket?
Need: popcorn, baskets (i.e. muffin tins, small cups), backboards (wall, cardboard)
- Popcorn word search (puzzle maker)
Popcorn, pop, kernel, explode, heat, moisture, grain, snack, crunchy, butter, oil, salt, fiber, bag, hull
- Write a popcorn Haiku (5, 7, 5 syllable pattern poem)
Oil, kernels, heat, time
Many loud explosions heard
Pop, crunch, snack time. Yum!
- How many words can you make from this phrase?
“Fresh hot popcorn”, “Popcorn tastes good”, “I like popcorn”, “Hot buttered popcorn”
- Popcorn coloring pages (download from www.popcorn.org)
- Read facts about popcorn at www.popcorn.org and write about the history of popcorn